Pender County Christian Services (PCCS) was founded by Edna Van Harrell Bradshaw who wanted a way to help those in need living in Pender County. The Ministerial Association organized a community clothing closet and food pantry, and on March 8, 1982, PCCS was incorporated as a non-profit organization. The food pantry opened its doors for the first time in June of 1982. We began with 17 volunteers and a budget of $12,000 per year for food, serving 250 families in the first nine months of operation. Today, we have 9 employees and over 40 volunteers. We currently serve over 1000 families per month.
MEET OUR EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
Mrs. SANDRA K. HARRIS began her time with PCCS over 25 years ago after over 20 years as a Medical Office Manager. For the last 15 years, she has been an active participant in the Quality Enhancement for Nonprofit Organizations (QENO), a partnership between UNCW and the community created to help strengthen nonprofit organizations through professional, leadership, and organizational development. Wearing many hats, and with the support of volunteers, she has helped to build a strong, sustainable organization. In May of 2021, Mrs. Harris received the Greater Wilmington Business Journal’s Coastal Entrepreneur Award for Non-profits. (See Article)